As you may or may not know, July is officially National Ice Cream Month! While it is fun to go and grab ice cream from your local shop down the street, it can be more fun and rewarding to make your own ice cream for you and your family to enjoy. Ice cream is also a great treat to enjoy after different types of oral surgery. You don’t need an ice cream maker in order to make delicious, creamy ice cream. Just follow our instructions below!
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 3-4 cups of ice
- 2/3 cup salt
- 1 quart-sized Ziploc bag
- 1 gallon-sized Ziploc freezer bag
- Combine milk, vanilla, and sugar in a quart-sized bag
- Press any air out of the bag and seal tightly
- Mix ice and salt in a gallon-sized bag
- Place the quart-sized bag into the gallon-sized bag and seal tightly
- Shake the bag vigorously for about 5 minutes.
- It will be very cold, be careful!
- The liquid inside the smaller bag should start to harden
- Let bags sit for a few minutes with ice in a large bag surrounding a small bag
- Open bags up and scoop ice cream out
As you can see, it isn’t hard to shake up some ice cream that the whole family can enjoy, using fairly standard household ingredients. Use chocolate/strawberry milk instead of regular milk to change the flavor, or use half and half for a creamier product. This year, celebrate National Ice Cream month by making your own ice cream at home!