Missing teeth or severely damaged teeth can affect how you chew, eat, smile, and even socialize. But dental implants are the most effective tooth replacement for improving your oral health, smile, and quality of life. Implants look, feel, and function so well that you might forget you have them. In Chesapeake, Virginia, Coastal Virginia Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery offers dental implants for healthy, high-quality, long-lasting results.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots that look like small screws. A complete implant that replaces a single tooth has three parts:
- Root form – An implant screw, usually made of titanium, replaces your missing tooth’s root.
- Abutment – A connector attached to the implant screw keeps a dental crown in place.
- Crown – A restoration to replace the white portion of a tooth will show above the gum line.
But dental implants are not limited to replacing individual teeth.
What Are the Dental Implant Options?
Dental implant options include single tooth and multiple teeth replacement, as well as full-mouth dental implants if all your teeth are missing. If you are in the Chesapeake, Virginia area and have good physical and oral health, one of our oral surgeons can recommend the appropriate option:
- Individual tooth replacement – One of our surgeons can insert an implant in the location of each missing tooth to fill in gaps in your smile. Once your implant and the bone have fused, your dentist will attach a crown to each implant.
- Multiple teeth replacement – An implant-supported bridge replaces multiple missing teeth in a row. For example, dental implants can replace the outer teeth if you have three missing teeth in a row. Your dentist will provide a dental bridge with three connected crowns to fit the implants, but the middle crown will not need an implant, and this implant bridge will still be stable and natural-looking.
- Implant overdenture – If you have lost all your upper or lower teeth and need dentures, an implant overdenture uses four to six implants to replace your missing teeth all at once. Implants support your denture without it resting on your gums. A base can snap or screw onto implants, allowing you to enjoy a secure, comfortable fit.
Meet Your Doctors
Patients trust in Dr. Beale, Dr. Yeh, Dr. Quigg, and Dr. Duncan because of their consistent care and unique interest in their oral health. This friendly, yet professional attitude is reflected throughout all aspects of Coastal Virginia Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Dental implants work as natural teeth do—by getting support from your jawbones and gums. The process begins with a consultation, exam, and 3-D x-rays to determine if you are a candidate for implants. One of our doctors will make a small incision through your gums and bones for each implant you receive on your procedure day. After three to four months, the area will heal, and your dentist will place your dental crowns or dentures on the implants. If you have bone shrinkage in areas of missing teeth, you may need bone grafting before implant placement.
Dental Implant Benefits
Patients in Chesapeake, Virginia, who choose dental implants enjoy benefits that other forms of tooth replacement do not offer. Our oral surgeons recommend dental implants for these reasons:
- Stimulate jawbone – Like natural tooth roots, dental implants stimulate and preserve the jawbone. Without implants, bone in the areas of missing teeth would shrink and affect your facial appearance over time.
- Outlast and outperform other options – Support from your jawbone helps implants function better than bridges anchored by teeth or a denture that rests on your gums. And their stability helps dental implants last longer—often for a lifetime.
- Preserve structure of nearby teeth – Unlike a dental bridge supported by natural teeth, getting dental implants does not affect your nearby natural teeth.
- Natural appearance – With your jawbone as the foundation, your gums will grow around individual implants and make them look like natural teeth. And a dental bridge or denture securely in place with implants will look natural.
- Easy to care for – Implants require the same care as healthy natural teeth by brushing, flossing, and avoiding tobacco products. It is essential to schedule regular dental cleaning and exam appointments to ensure your gums and bone around the implant stay healthy.
Request a Dental Implants Consultation in Chesapeake, VA
At Coastal Virginia Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery in Chesapeake, our doctors are highly trained and experienced in dental implant placement. During a consultation, you will meet one of our oral surgeons to discuss your needs. Our doctor will review your health history, examine your teeth and gums, and take digital x-rays of your jawbone to determine your options for dental implants.
We welcome you to request a consultation at our Chesapeake office and experience high-quality, patient-centered care from our team.