If you are looking for a long-lasting replacement for missing or severely damaged teeth, dental implants may be your answer. Implants mimic tooth roots, fuse with your bone, and become the closest to having your natural teeth back. If you live in Norfolk, Virginia, a short drive will take you to Coastal Virginia Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, where you can get reliable results from our highly experienced oral surgeons.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a screw-shaped post used to replace a missing tooth’s root. An abutment, or connector, attaches to the top of the implant post. After one of our oral surgeons places the implant, it will fuse with your bone in three to six months. Then, your dentist will attach a crown to the abutment.
What Is the Dental Implant Process?
The dental implant process begins with a consultation with one of our doctors, a comprehensive exam, and 3-D x-rays. After evaluating your oral and general health, our surgeon will explain your treatment options. Some of our patients require tooth removal before implant placement or bone grafting if they have bone shrinkage in areas of missing teeth.
Dental Implant Options
Whether one, several, or all your teeth are missing, one of these dental implant options can help restore your mouth to optimal health:
- Single implant – You can get a dental implant for each missing tooth. Your dentist will finish each implant with a natural-looking crown.
- Implant bridge – If you are missing multiple teeth in a row, a dental bridge is a series of connected crowns that can replace them. But instead of shaving down adjacent teeth to support the bridge, dental implants on each end anchor it.
- Implant overdenture – A removable denture rests on your gums, but four to six implants can stabilize your denture and help it feel more like your own teeth.
How Can You Benefit from Dental Implants?
Dental implants are an investment in your oral health and overall well-being. For many patients in Norfolk, Virginia, the benefits of implants relieve anxiety about their oral health and improve their quality of life. The benefits include:
- Preserve healthy tooth structure – Implants get stability from bone and do not rely on healthy adjacent teeth for support.
- Restore function – Your chewing efficiency will improve, which helps your body get more nutrients when you eat. And you can enjoy your favorite foods again.
- Feel comfortable – Support from implants makes crowns, bridges, and dentures feel natural.
- Improve confidence – You can eat, laugh, and speak with confidence that your replacement teeth are secure.
- Improve your smile – People will notice your natural-looking smile, not your implants. And that can help you smile more often.
- Last longer – Implants outlast removable bridges or dentures. For many people, dental implants last a lifetime with proper oral hygiene.
- More reliable – Implants’ success rate is 95 to 98 percent—more than other tooth replacements.
- Preserve jawbone – Implant roots stimulate the jawbone to prevent bone shrinkage and help you maintain your face shape.
- Easy to maintain – Implants are easier to clean than removable bridges or dentures that can bend or lose shape.
Meet Your Doctors
Patients trust in Dr. Beale, Dr. Yeh, Dr. Quigg, and Dr. Duncan because of their consistent care and unique interest in their oral health. This friendly, yet professional attitude is reflected throughout all aspects of Coastal Virginia Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
How to Care for Dental Implants
Take care of your dental implants as you care for your natural teeth. Although you cannot get cavities in implants, gum inflammation and plaque buildup can cause infection and shorten their lifespan. Follow these guidelines:
- Floss daily and brush twice daily with a soft-bristled brush and non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Avoid tobacco products to keep your gums and jawbone healthy and help your implants last.
- Wear a nightguard while you sleep to minimize pressure on the implants if you clench or grind your teeth.
- Schedule dental cleaning and exams regularly. Your dentist and hygienist will inspect your implants and surrounding gums to ensure they remain healthy.
Take the First Step with a Dental Implants Consultation
If you are interested in dental implants, Coastal Virginia Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery has three locations near Norfolk, Virginia. We invite you to experience our comfortable, patient-focused care for yourself.
During a consultation, you will meet with one of our highly experienced surgeons, who will listen to your concerns and explain your options. Request a consultation today.