When a tooth is lost, there are several ways to restore the functionality of the mouth. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake area patients can choose crowns, bridges, or dentures, all of which allows them to smile and bite. However, dental implants are the most realistic, long-lasting, and durable tooth replacement solution. These are small, titanium screws that are inside of the jawbone and act as a new tooth root, providing a solid base for a fake tooth.
Our doctors at Coastal Virginia Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery are seasoned experts at providing area patients with dental implants. They’ll perform a full examination to determine whether or not dental implants would work best, and if so, create a personalized plan of care that outlines the next step in treatment.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are small titanium screws that are surgically implanted into the jaw. Once they are in the jaw, the bone begins to grow around them, securing them in place. After a few months of healing time, they’ll be stable enough to have an abutment attached, which is a small metal post that sticks down through the gums. Once the abutment is in position, a crown can be attached.
While the crown may wear down over time and need replacing, the dental implants will last forever. All Virginia Beach and Chesapeake patients will need to do is return to have a new crown put on the abutment, and they’ll be good to go.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants present numerous benefits over other methods of teeth replacement, meaning they’re often the solution our doctors recommend for their Virginia Beach and Chesapeake patients.
- Dental implants last longer and have higher success rates than bridges, crowns, and dentures.
- Dental implants preserve bone in the jaw through stimulation, meaning that patients won’t lose their distinctive facial profile.
- Dental implants don’t require our doctors to harm existing teeth. With bridges and crowns, sometimes surrounding teeth must be filed down.
- Dental implants fit in the mouth perfectly, unlike dentures, which will lose their grip over time as the jawbone begins to deteriorate.
- Dental implants are cleaned and taken care of just like normal teeth, unlike dentures, which must be removed from the mouth and soaked.
- Dental implants are more cost-efficient, as Virginia Beach and Chesapeake patients just need to pay for the initial procedure, rather than bridges or crowns, which must be replaced every few years.
- Dental implants can be perfectly matched to the patient’s existing teeth for a seamless smile.
- Dental implants can be used to fill in a single missing tooth, multiple missing teeth, or an entire arch of missing teeth, providing the patient with complete customization.
- Dental implants allow the patient to bite and chew like they normally would, which may not be possible with tooth-supported bridges or crowns.
Q: What’s included with my Dental Implants?
Q: Are Implants as strong as natural teeth?
How the Dental Implant Procedure Works
Getting dental implants does take a couple of appointments as well as a waiting period for the implants to integrate into the bone. At the initial consultation, our doctors will work with the patient to understand their needs. First, they’ll identify whether or not the patient’s mouth is healthy enough for surgery as well as how many implants the patient may benefit from.
Next, they’ll take X-rays to look at the jawbone to see if there’s enough bone density to support an implant. If the jaw isn’t dense enough, our doctors may recommend bone grafting to supplement bone tissue and create a sturdier base for the implants.
If all looks good, patients will return for a second appointment at our Virginia Beach and Chesapeake offices to have their implants placed. During the procedure, our doctors will make a small incision in the gums to reveal the bone underneath. Then, they’ll carefully drill the implant into the jaw at a precise angle. Once the implant is secure, they’ll close the gums back up, and the patient can return home.
Recovery after this initial procedure is minimal, as the gums should heal quickly. That being said, it will take a few months for the implant to become secured in the bone. Our doctors will advise the patient when to return, and if all looks well, they’ll open up the gums one more time to place the abutment. After this, the replacement crown or bridge can be attached without any more invasive procedures.
Choose Dental Implants From Our Doctors in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake
Are you seeking a permanent and realistic solution for your tooth loss? If so, dental implants are the way to go. Learn more about how you can benefit from dental implants as well as whether you’re a candidate by scheduling your initial consultation at our Virginia Beach and Chesapeake offices. Call us today at (757)-426-6155 (Virginia Beach) or (757)-547-9725 (Chesapeake).